Yeninko of the Umlaut

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Ford Explores Can't Tow Uhaul Trailers

This weekend finds me renting a Uhaul to pick up two motorcycles I found on craiglist.

If I may digress a moment, yes this does in fact make me a crazy motorcycle dude. This is based of a set of criteria derived from the crazy cat lady rule.

1 cat - nice kitty.
2 cats - nice kitties can play with each other.
3 cats - whoa, that is a lot of urine/hairballs/poo/fur.
4+ cats - you are a crazy cat lady (your gender doesn't matter).

I have made some serious efforts to maintain a limit of no more than three motorbikes at once. That will no longer be possible. So I give in, I'm the crazy motorcycle dude as this image suggests.


Back to the subject at hand, I'm renting a Uhaul to pick up two motorcycles.

And while perusing the FAQ page I found this little surprise under the Equipment section

Why can't I rent a certain piece of equipment?

...

Ford Explorer owners: U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul – we have built our success for over 59 years by saying "yes" to our customers, and do not like saying "no" instead. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move. Please contact 1-800-GO-UHAUL (1-800-468-4285) for assistance with alternative options.

That was a surprise!

Incidentally, I also learned that cars rented using credit cards are usually covered buy the CC's rental car insurance program, but those programs usually do NOT cover Uhaul, or any sort of pickup trucks. AMEX doesn't even cover full Size SUV's, and in any case you have to be the primary driver and us the CC to pay for the rental. They will, however, send you a proof of insurance for you to use at the car rental place, which is nice if you are like me and don't have car insurance.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • hehehehe... i am not positive, but i believe that when originally introduced many years ago, your theory used to be that three, not four, cats made someone a crazy cat person. i take it the shift in thinking helps you feel like less of a crazy motorcycle man? buddy, you crossed that line long ago... but we still love you. :)

    By Blogger andrea, at 2:11 PM  

  • funny, that was the first photo I had seen of you before we met.

    and it was funnier when I first met you I was convinced you were some frat boy for the first few hours.

    hilarious.

    By Blogger travis, at 8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home