Yeninko of the Umlaut

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Ethnic Food Gone Wild!

I would like to thank Alex Dorfman, the Tuesday night dinner guild, the Vietnamese people and their one time colonist, the French, for the ingenious invention, and now my discovery of, the Saigon Sandwich also known in its native tongue as Bahn Mi. It consists of a cilantro, either little or accidental amounts of lettuce, tomatoes, cucmuber, some sort of mild Jalapeño looking pepper (it’s green but not as spicy), and your choice of several types of meat or tofu on a toasted French roll (hence the allocades to the French).

First let me just say they are delicious. Second they are usually under $3 which, for eating out in SF, is just a total shock. They are so cheap and good I’ve taken to ordering them two at a time which has also led to the discovery that, for the most part, they are delicious even when a day old. It helps that Pho Hoa at 239 Clement is mere blocks from my house, serves them (Pho Hoa is also across the street from a bubble tea shop).

For all you non-SF kids, there have been rumor of shops selling them in Boston. I suspect that LA and NY would have them as well. Definitely check it out.

It's been five days since my discovery and I'm six sandwiches in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home