Yeninko of the Umlaut

Monday, November 24, 2008

Be a savvy shopper

-- Avoid shopping with children, as research shows shoppers doing so spend 40 percent more than planned.

-- Eat first. If you're hungry, you'll buy more of everything - from food to flat-screen televisions.

-- Carefully consider the actual price you are paying, not how the cost is promoted. Lindstrom once conducted an experiment at a grocery store where he posted a $1.95 price tag near cans of soup. "The next day we put a little tag next to it that said "Maximum eight cans per customer," and people bought like crazy," he said.

-- Pay for your purchases in cash. Research shows that shoppers spend as much as 30 percent more when using credit cards.

-- Consider not using a shopping cart - they've doubled in size over the past two years, and shoppers buy considerably more because of it.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • Awesome list! I always shop hungry, but other than that I always follow the rest of the list, and I'm the second pickiest shopper I know. Sorry Stanza, but you should have died of stingy induced starvation years ago. Come to think of it, I think Stanza follows the whole list.

    My own personal biggest shopping tip: Each child in a line counts as two additional people when deciding how fast the line will move.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:33 PM  

  • Actually, Steel, I frequently do go food shopping hungry. I've discovered that if I'm not hungry, I peer at what's on the shelves, and decide I don't need that anyway. In the morning, I get sad because I realize I should have bought breakfast after all.

    The rest of the list I do.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:24 PM  

  • Y'all missed the most important rule - go stoned and eat the junk food as you go...if you bring the empty wrappers, you prove to your friends and neighbors that you are honest, and you may not be saving resources, but at least you're having fun!

    ps. the wrappers, like most trash can go through thermal pyrolysis and be turned into fuel and activated charcoal...consume, enjoy, help the economy. Thank the Ford!

    By Blogger serez, at 10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home