Yeninko of the Umlaut

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Headline Today

International Herald Tribune

In Thailand's first military coup in 15 years, a faction of the armed forces seized control of the capital on Tuesday night, suspended ...

First military coup in 15 years? Kind of sounds like it's been a while. I mean it's not like military coups are supposed to be a regular theme in political transitions.

Other than that, pardon my lack of recent postings. It seems like the more I do the less time I have to post. Conversely, when I have the most time to post, I have the least to write about.

2 Comments:

  • God forbid we should ever be twenty years without a rebellion.

    * Jefferson, Thomas

    I hold it, that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical.

    * Jefferson, Thomas

    I suppose he was tallking more about a rebellion of the people against their current government, but much of the sentiment remains. From what I've seen so far, the people of Thailand don't seem terribly upset. Also, I think this is a coup of the King (maybe) and the military leadership ousting the Prime Minister, which seems to me to be more like telling Cheney not to bother coming home while he is out of the country than a proper coup. If you ask me, we are way overdue ourselves.

    Does anybody feel like revolt'n?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:32 PM  

  • You know, I was about to write a blog entry on how I started reading about Thailand politics because I discovered a plaque in Harvard Square commemorating King Bhumibol's birth, and so I was telling everyone King Bombadil was born at Mount Auburn Hospital. Of course, while Tom Bombadil and Bhumibol Adulyadej are not the same person, their names are similar enough that they stuck in my head.

    So I stopped to read about King Bhumibol because I read The Fellowship of the Ring as a small child and thought Tom Bombadil was a cool character. It's funny what motivates us to pay attention to particular details of the world.

    By Blogger Stanza, at 8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home