Yeninko of the Umlaut

Monday, July 31, 2006

Victory Garden

About six weeks back I planted a garden in my back patio. As you can see from the pictures my ‘yard’ is just a huge block of concrete. So, salvaging some wood the neighbors left when they were evicted and another neighbor’s jig saw I fashioned five planters. As an added bonus I found a bunch wheels that I affixed to the bottom of the planters so I can roll them about my great concrete yard.

At this point the basil is looking good as are the tomatoes. The squash is ridiculously large. The lettuce and watermelon are looking pretty bad. Beets and green onions haven’t given up the fight but I’m not holding much hope out for them bearing fruit this season.

Not bad for a couple afternoons work and about $50. Thanks to Jed who can-do attitude inspired me to build and plant it all.

3 Comments:

  • Not bad at all! Garden is looking good! Yay Jed inspiration!

    I have a friend who has a philosiphy of gardening--plant anything and see what survives. Then next year you'll have a better idea of what to plant (or not plant).

    By Blogger Stanza, at 4:56 PM  

  • Yeah, most of the landscapers around here seem to have the same philosophy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:51 PM  

  • I like that strategy stanza. At this point it looks like I'll be planting tomatoes and squash. I wanna try onions, garlic and potatoes next.

    By Blogger Yen, at 10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home