Yeninko of the Umlaut

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Holy Benadryl

On Saturday morning I woke up with a bolus of snot lodged in my right nasal passage. All the blowing and laying on one side did nothing to assuage it. Sunday was no better though the increase in sneezing was fun. Am I the only person that enjoys sneezing? Coming to work on Monday seemed only to anger the bolus and my eyes began to water intermittently.

My boss opined that perhaps I had allergies, having never had them before I explained that I didn’t think that was the cause and it was probably just a head cold. She informed me that someone can develop allergies at any time in their life and offered me some anti-allergy medication that only later would I could to discover was generic Benadryl. I read the bottle and it indicated that taking this drug helped dry out nasal passages and reduced eye irritation which seemed exactly like what I was looking for, I skipped the rest to the dosages and popped two in my mouth (Adults “Take up to two every 4-6 hours”)

I went back to my office and tried to start working. Within fifteen minutes I was woozy, in twenty I was laying on the floor of my office trying to find a comfy spot. Some time later I came to and realized something was up. I walked back into my bosses office and told her I was feeling REALLY tired.

“Oh yeah, it makes you drowsy, it says so right on the bottle”.
Being to cross-eyed to read I took her word for it.
“But I only took two and I feel like passing out”, I slurred.
“You took two!? You should go home”.

Which is what I did. I proceeded to sleep about another four hours there before getting out of my work cloths and spending the rest of the day in my PJ's tooling around eating totally non-spicy “Spicy Doritos’s” with totally non-spicy “Safeway Hot Salsa” in an effort to burn the Bolus out of my skull.

In anycase I’ve learned a few things. Food with “Spicy” and “Hot” advertised on them need a rating system, 50 MG of Benadryl with kick a grown mans butt, and the bolus always wins.

3 Comments:

  • Try accupressure. It is near instantaneous and has no side effects if used as directed. Helps with almost anything that isn't viral, bacterial, or massively broken. I haven't tried this, but it sounded interesting as well:

    To relieve sinus pressure alternately thrust your tongue against the roof of your mouth, then press between your eyebrows with one finger. This causes the vomer bone, which runs through the nasal passages to the mouth, to rock back and forth, says Lisa DeStefano, D.O., an assistant professor at the Michigan State University college of osteopathic medicine. The motion loosens congestion; after 20 seconds, you'll feel your sinuses start to drain.

    I once made the mistake of drinking a glass of scotch about four hours after taking a nyquil. I felt like my body and brains were going in seperate directions.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:13 PM  

  • Hee hee, that's an entertaining story.

    I've noticed anything that's labelled "Safeway" or "Doritos" is not hot or spicy, no matter what other items on the packaging may say, even if it features pictures of people jumping up and down with shocked looks sticking their heads into buckets of water.

    I was introduced to Benadryl by my roomate who eats them like pacman as sleeping pills.

    By Blogger Stanza, at 9:12 PM  

  • Maybe you need to find some cutie to snog to help clear those allergies....

    A 30-minute kissing session may suppress the body's allergic reaction to pollen...

    By Blogger Stanza, at 6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home