Yeninko of the Umlaut

Friday, March 17, 2006

After seeing Blade Runner in my teens and then reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, the book that inspired the movie, I’ve been in awe of Phillip K Dick. Total Recall, based on Phillip K Dick’s, We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, firmly cemented my appreciation of the author and for the capacity of his stories to translate to movies. While Total Recall may have not have been the best example, those two set the trend. Others include Screamers, Minority Report and Paycheck all of varying quality but to a SciFi fan (to whom quality is a very relative thing) solid movies.

Despite the quality of Blade Runner and Minority Report it seems that the best of Philip K Dick has been saved for Last. Imagine my surprise to find that trailers for A Scanner Darkly, which is perhaps my favorite of his novels, are already out.

In my surprise I went to IBDM.com and found that Next (based on The Golden Man) is in Pre-production. I wonder if the Man in the High Castle is next, the only book he won a Hugo award for.

2 Comments:

  • dear lord, ian, are you watching the remake of battlestar galactica?

    it's fucking great.

    if not, start with season 1. it's on bittorrent.

    By Blogger ethan, at 11:20 AM  

  • It's on netflix. I heard about it when it came out and thought it would be camp which is fine but which I'm sort of over. However, I've since heard that it is dark and pretty tight. It's on the way!

    By Blogger Yen, at 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home