Yeninko of the Umlaut

Friday, February 03, 2006

Once Again, the Internet to the Rescue.

So here I am sitting my office, minding my own business when I hear a page over the intercom system. Now we get pages all the time, primarily about people parking in the loading zone in front of the building. But today the page went like this, "Code blue, code blue. There is a code blue at 2200 O’Farrell, in front of the lobby, code blue. Code blue."

I’ll be honest, I memorized two codes here at the hospital. Code black, which is usually a page for 'Dr. Leslie' and generally indicates that there is someone violent around. This I recall for my own safety. The second is Code Lindberg which is a child abduction. This one I memorized cuz I know too much useless trivial (such as Charles Lindbergh's son Charles Augustus, 20 months old, was was abducted from the family home. Ten days later the infant was found dead, hence the code)

In any case, I’m trying to figure out what I should be doing. Could it be a bomb scare, a fire, a woman having a baby? So I did what is instinctive to me when I am required to use my brain. I searched Google. Turns out a Code Blue is 'a medical emergency in which a team of medical personnel work to revive an individual in cardiac arrest'.

In other words someone was aparently dying, literally, outside of my window. I ran down there to see what I could do. Two people with some sort of medical skilz were there as well as a group of gawkers. Someone was on the phone with the ER, someone else had 911 on the phone (You can see the entrance of the ER from where the man was lying).

It turns out he man was conscious and talking and seemed fit. He didn’t seem to be in pain and ultimately it seemed that he had passed out and fell down. Then ambulances arrived.

What is with people trying to die around me?

1 Comments:

  • Reuben and I would recommend listening to the song code blue by TSOL. It was one of our high school favorites.

    Code lidenberg: fucking ridiculous. I think most hospitals stick with colours, B has a list of them on I'd badge. Interesting.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home