Yeninko of the Umlaut

Friday, February 03, 2006

Bookflix Or Netbooks?

Several of you have seperately mentioned in various conversation how cool it would be to have a subscription model like Netflix but with books. And I agree. Obviously the cost of mailing is prohibitive or else book-rate mail takes too long. Both issues I don’t think will ever be overcome.

However, while emailing back and forth with the Canadian also known as Patrick Star (Reuben) he mentioned Freakonomics, a book I have been recommend so many times I decided to just order it. Amazon had it used at $13 plus shipping. Borders had copies for $30. The library’s 12 copies (six on Audio CD) were all checked out. Having the option of either spending money or waiting patently waiting for the book to become available I opted for the latter and requested it online using my library card. When the book is available it will sent to the local library branch, (a fifteen minute walk) I will be emailed that it is available and have a week or two to pick it up.

And then, in the way that things usually occur to me, I was shocked by the realization that the Public Library system is effectively the above yearned for book subscription model and it cost nothing!

I have to say the public library system is truly fantastic. Combined with the inter-library loan system you can pretty much guarantee that a book you want will be available (okay maybe not if you like limited run, out of print, or otherwise rare books like Gen).

I love Library.

Three cheers to the librarian in the posse, Kate Fa-Fa-Farley. Hip-hip-Hooray! Hip-hip-Hooray! Hip-hip-Hooray!

4 Comments:

  • You overlooked two important words:

    Instant

    And

    Gratification

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:43 PM  

  • Yeah, well like netflix sometimes there is a long wait for new or popular releases.

    By Blogger Yen, at 1:47 PM  

  • If you order it via Amazon, you certainly don't have instant gratification. And I've noticed myself treating bookstores as libraries, find yourself a nice couch and enjoy a nice book!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:53 AM  

  • Dude, you inspired me to see if my backwater town's library was online and guess what? It is. So now I too can enjoy the fruits of my tax dollars and reserve books online for free.

    cool

    By Blogger Andrew Schwab, at 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home