Yeninko of the Umlaut

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Look Ma! No Eyes!

So rather than composing a post that attempts to illustrate my ceaseless wonder at the universe around me, I will simply note a few interesting things about my life at this point.

First I realized I can type. It was sort of odd noticing it. Normally I stare at the keyboard as I type not really focusing on where my fingers are going but looking down nonetheless. On Monday I decided I should try learning to type with my head up. After all if my dad can learn to type correctly in three months at 68 years of age, I should manage to figure it out after a decade on a keyboard. Armed with a pile of data entry drudgery I began typing, and lo and behold I can type without looking down. Go figure. I wonder how long I could do that but didn’t notice.

Jethro, Trevor, Meadow and Genevieve. Lowing, the verb low has one meaning: it is the sound bovines make. Now you know

I also had my first day of tutoring yesterday, or rather of being a tutor. It was great. I printed out a bunch of worksheets and refreshed myself on the fundamental operations on integers, linear and quadratic equations, graphing, etc. I rehearsed some lecture material, I was prepped and ready to go.

Jennifer and I sat down, had some snacks and I started to explain some intro stuff and she was with me then I said something about multiplying a negative times a negative and her face went blank. I backed up and tried a different tack, a minute later, same effect. So I pulled out the worksheets showed her how to solve the first problem (they started easy and grew more complex) and after that she just took off. I sat back and did some problems of my own, read the menu and now and then when Jenny would get stumped I'd explain the trick to use. Other than a bit of moral supprt when needed (“Don't lets those bastards trip you up by putting the X on the wrong side! You slap it back where you want it!”) I just sat back and relaxed and the hour progressed well. I was surprised how quickly we fell into learning pattern that worked for us. The whole experience put the wind back into my sails about teaching. The again it helped that Jenny has done all this before and this is mostly a refresher but still, it felt rewarding.

On an odd note I stopped drinking. It happened in Arcata and I really haven’t wanted to drink at all. Now in fairness that has happened before but I’m still surprised that it’s been about ten days and I don’t even want some delicious bed time port. Like I said, odd.

I finished 1776 (very good) and The Simoquin Prophecies (fair to poor). I have three books from Gen and I’m trying to decide which one to start (any suggestions Gen?).

And that friends, is all he wrote.

2 Comments:

  • Hmm, Dry might be good since you have stopped drinking, LOL, but I'd go for A Fine Balance first.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:29 AM  

  • And for those of you (like myself until about 2 minutes ago) that don't know what CAPTCHA means, it stands for "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart"...though if that is the case it probably should be spelled CAPT^4CHA. In any case it's that box with the squiggly text.

    By Blogger Yen, at 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home