Yeninko of the Umlaut

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Let the Movie-ing Begin

As you may or may not be aware, the Metreon has discount coupons for the month of January. Last night was my first outing and the lines being way too long we missed the showing of Syrian and instead went to a later showing of Narnia, and I wasn't disappointed. I expected crap and that is what I got. I swear when Aslan came back to life I just want to jump up and say "Jesus H. Christ, he’s been resurrected!" Normally kids (or anyone) talking during a movie bug but this time it was the probably the most entertaining part of the movie.

Having said that, I can't tell if I'm emotionally fragile right now or if the first ten minutes were that good but I nearly wept by the time they were boarding the train. If they could have maintained that level of emotion, I would have been a wreck. Fortunately for me and those around me, they could not.

Additionally, some aspects of the story seemed a little dated. For example, giving small children implements of war seems to not be so much in fashion anymore. Girls with daggers and boys with long swords is generally not something you are expecting to see when they are digitally removing bats and knives from Tom and Jerry cartoons and replacing them with feather dusters and towels.

And lastly the number of uh, I don't know what they are called, screw-ups?, was pretty significant. Ed consumes a drop of the potion that will heal all wounds, such as the gut wound killing, him but not his cut lip? The queen’s notice and the mysterious disappearing and reappearing hole in it.

In any case, yes I know you loved the book and yes I know you were hoping for great things but just let it go, let it go.

Who is up for Munich and Syriana?

2 Comments:

  • No joke. I was thinking the same thing about the split lip kid. What a rip. I made a dungeons and dragons movie with the neighborhood kids in 1983 that had fewer inconsistancies.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:50 AM  

  • So how was Munich?

    By Blogger Stanza, at 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home