Yeninko of the Umlaut

Monday, December 12, 2005

My "It's A Wonderful Life" Moment

This last Saturday was on of my best birthdays ever, and I was born in October.
This year, hoping to avoid some sort of massive hoopla for my 30th birthday, I flew to my brother Dushan’s place in Wisconsin for a low key event with his wife and kids. And pretty much everyone he knew. He was throwing a Halloween party on my birthday so I just clambered behind the bar and played the part. It was great. Since most people didn’t know me other than Dushan’s little brother, I pretty much got a bunch of, Happy-birthday,-can-I-have-a-Jack-and-Coke’s and little else in the way of birthday attention, which is what I was looking for. Easily one of my best birthdays ever. Very casual, fun and drunky.

I thought I had managed to avoid a birthday party amongst my friends, but I hadn’t accounted for Andrea Polizzi’s tenaciousness. She had arranged for me and her to spend some long missed quality time together. She skillfully directed us to Magnolias on Haight. After a beer (two?) there ‘we’ decided that maybe a bar hopping trip to Durty Nelly's would be a grand idea. Upon my intoxicated arrival at Durty Nelly's I noticed that Adam was there, how coincidental...along with Alex and Amanda? Harsh, they hadn’t even called to let me know they were going out...and Jackie? Dan, Tara and Alyssa filled out the rest of the group. Even the obligatory drunk Irishman at Durty Nelly's knew I was coming and danced a jib I like to think was for me.

The cake Jackie had be baking ‘for a friend’ earlier in the afternoon turned out to be a four layer coconut cake with lime filling and a marshmallow frosting covered in shredded coconut. Personally I’m not a fan of either frosting or marshmallows but this stuff was fabulous. No really. I ate leftovers for dessert and the occasional breakfast for a week.

Despite making a drunk ass out of myself this probably marked the best birthday yet. I’d like to thank all my friends who made it and all the rest who contributed input for the card below. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

When things aren’t looking to bright and life seems a burden it is you who I think of to shine a little light on me. Thank you a million times.

2 Comments:

  • For those of you who can’t read the card here’s the list.

    The Top Ten Things That Make Ian So Very IAN

    10. He freely admits to having played Magic the Gathering at an IHop in LA.

    9. He knows more about vending machines that your average person and why coins are better than bills.

    8. He will confidently answer a question about any topic in the world even when he has no idea what he is talking about.

    7. He is the only person to ever have their car got missing and have it mysteriously appear months later with mushrooms growing out of it.

    6. He is one of the few people we’ve ever heard say the term “cool beans” and manage to pull it off.

    5. He is the only friend we know whose dad had both played soccer with Rod Stewart and served more time than Martha Stewart.

    4. “Look at this! Isn’t this INTERERESTING?”

    3. He has shown patience and faith in others until the are willing to get over themselves and accept his generous offers of food so he can be invited on trips to Walden Pond, and ultimately make them fall for him so that he becomes one of their absolute favorite people.

    2. His ability to become so authentically white trash, with no effort at all.

    1. No other man will lovingly visit a pair of leather pants until he can afford to buy them.

    By Blogger Yen, at 2:06 PM  

  • Awesome card

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home