Yeninko of the Umlaut

Friday, September 30, 2005

It's This or Robbing Banks

I went camping at Manresa State Park in Santa Cruz last week thanks to Jason. The weather was fantastic on Saturday and pretty good on Sunday provided you had on a wetsuit. While Nathan, Jackie and Clayton read on the shore Jason and I proceed to speak with seals. We started barking at them while they were checking us out. After a while they would disappear and when we barked they would pop back up and check us out again. It turned into a sort of game. Or at least it did for me, I’m not really sure what I was saying in seal language.

The waves were a wee bit small for Jason I think, but perfect for me. And the waves were breaking so shallow there was no worry about having to paddle out since you could simply wade out to where there were breaking, wait and paddle out past the break point (Yes Andrea I know this was also the title of a movie with Patrick Swayze in it). As a result we stayed in the water for hours since most of the hard work (paddling out) wasn't required

Having spent the weekend camping, lying on the beach and surfing I can now completely understand the urge to be a beach bum, which is one of the reasons I’m planning a career change. I figure if I post it up her where all the world (or just you five) can see it maybe I’ll feel obliged to follow through. So yeah, I think I’m going to become a teacher. The benefits include, not having to work at my current job which is slowly turning me gray, not working summers which works in with the beach bumming aspect and lastly it seems that many, many acquaintances through the ages have suggested that I might want to teach. So far I haven’t been able to determine if this was because I have a tendency to lecture and they were trying to get me into an environment where it would seem a bit more natural, or if it was a real vision of my place in the world.

Having spoken to some teachers and some former teachers, I understand that the risk of burnout is very real and the career may prove to be a less than satisfying experience but I’m sort of okay with that . If after a coupe of years I don’t like it I’ll just quit. And that is made easy by the program I think I’ll be going through. Rather than going to school for a couple for years and getting my credential (or getting emergency credential which is quickly be phased out) Andrea directed me to a program called, Project Pipeline which basically consists going into a class room in a school in Alameda county and teaching students for two years. In addition I have to take classes every other Friday and Saturday and do two summers worth of course work. After that I get my credential for teaching in CA. If I teach for three more years it becomes permanent. The cost of the program is ~$7K. The advantage is I actually get paid for teaching at the going rate for which ever district I choose to teach in for those two year. After which when I go to get a 'real' job I already have two years experience. It also helps that I can transfer from district to district if the fit doesn't feel right.

The only down side is I’m worried about those Saturdays easting into my Moto class Saturdays.

Oh and I wanna teach Mathematics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home