Yeninko of the Umlaut

Thursday, August 18, 2005

White People Problems

I’m unsure of who coined the phrase ‘White People Problems’ (WPP) but as of late I’ve been thinking about it a lot. By way of definition let me give a few examples.

Gas prices are really making a dent in you wallet.
You feel fat.
You can’t afford to buy a home.
The show is sold out.
You hate you job.

I’m fairly confident that I know a couple of people that would stab me for my job, probably several times. And I’m guessing there might be millions if not billions of people who would seriously consider it, and really, my job ain’t that great. Actually, that may be a pretty good description of WPP, if someone is willing to stab you for your problems, then your problems are probably White People Problems.

In the spirit of inclusion I’d like to add that many, many non-white people suffer from WPP’s. For example, almost all non-white people in the US, Canada and Western Europe.

Everyone else’s problems may include:

Genocide.
Economic collapse
Forced genital mutilation.
Ecological destruction.
Starvation.
Lack of medical services.
Slavery.
Extreme poverty.

I’ve found myself bitching about my life lately and after some thought I think I’m back in perspective. I mean, I can’t think of ever, even once, having to wait six hours for food. I can count on one hand the number of times I actually thought I was going to die, and most of those were on roller coasters and not, for example, at the hands of armed militia.

And now I will eat a day old Saigon Sandwich, which is no kind of problem at all.

4 Comments:

  • more appropriately referred to as First World Problems

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:55 PM  

  • Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with you. First World Problems is a bit more appropriate...though it seems to lose some of its absurdity.

    By Blogger Yen, at 1:56 PM  

  • Just because I'm fat and rich doesn't mean I'm not going to try to do crazier and more difficult things, which leads me to having "White People Problems", or "First World Problems".

    For instance, I'd like to live to be 500 years old. I have a lot of things I'd like to do, and though some of my friends say "average lifespan used to be 30! Anything after that is gravy!" I'm just not going to get everything done I want in thirty years. If I believe current opinions, I can live to be 120, but being fat is one great life-shortener.

    So is it all bad to be bothered that I'm fat?

    People will create problems for themselves when there aren't any. This is true, but I'd argue it's a good thing, for if they didn't, and we didn't have problems such as "I'm failing my calculus class", we wouldn't be as far advanced in arts and sciences.

    By Blogger Stanza, at 10:24 AM  

  • Hey Stanza,

    I won’t deny being fat is a problem especially from a long term health view but looking at it from the flip sides POV it looks almost like a joke. Immediate, immanent starvation vs. a statistically increased rate of future heath issues with resulting loss of life span. Most of which can be largely negated by weight loss now. It’s interesting that you mention weight loss. I was watching a plastic surgery show where three sisters and one of their daughters got their stomachs stapled to lose weight at $50k each. I just don’t know what to say to that.a

    I have certainly realized is that people will magnify or even imagine problems when they seem to lack sufficient ones, I only wish our made up problems were as serious as worrying about failing a math test, I think the truth is a little more sad than that. I also wonder if that sort of worry is really what drives advancement is science and technology. I’d think it’s financial gain and or simple interest, an less fear of failure.

    By Blogger Yen, at 5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home