Yeninko of the Umlaut

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Monday Is For Music

Update II:It seems that someone has taken the entire discussion on Plastic and tallied everybodys selections, ranked them and then linked them to Amazon, iTunes, some russion MP3 Site, and Google.

It's pretty awesome, I suggest checking it out.

--

Update I: I thought this would make a good topic for discussion on Plastic so I submitted it and they posted it today. It created a wee bit of a...dialogue. Lots of interesting stuff if you are looking for new (or old) music.

--

I have been going through my music lately trying to determine what, of the music I've downloaded, is good and what is crap. Whilst I was doing that I, of course, decided to download more music, thus continuing the cycle of music consumption. This time however I was at a loss of what to download. and then as if struck my the wiffle ball bat of God I thought, "Greatest Hits". Which greatest hits you ask? I dunno. I just threw that into the search string of my handy P2P client started downloading anything that came up, and then went to see Kung Fo Hustle, as you should. Searching for music is something like trawling for fish, you cast a wide net and see what comes in.

After the movie me and Pacey sat down and started discussing perfect albums. Albums that we felt contained all great songs, as in every track was very, very good and none were mediocre. Since I tend not to listen to entire albums (I tend to grab songs I like and, throwing them together, play all of them on random) this was a wee bit hard for me. Nonetheless, here is a brief list that Pacey and I came up with.

Sinead O'Connor - Lion and the Cobra
Streets - Original Pirate Material
Metrics - Old World Underground
Arcade f\Fire - Funeral
Sleater-Kinney - One Beat

Okay Umlaut-ians, your turn. What are your Perfect albums

6 Comments:

  • ok, i'll take a shot:

    the boo radleys - giant steps
    dusty trails - s/t
    beach boys - pet sounds
    felt - absolute classic masterpieces
    my bloody valentine - loveless
    the unicorns - who will cut our hair when we're gone?
    pulp - his n' hers
    love - forever changes
    michael jackson - thriller
    saturday looks good to me - every night
    joy zipper - s/t
    pixies - surfer rosa; doolittle
    the velvets; the beatles; the smiths

    i'm a pophead and an anglophile, though, so take 'em with a grain.

    By Blogger ethan, at 11:47 AM  

  • ooh, i almost forgot!

    allen clapp - 100% chance of rain

    recorded in his van. he plays all of the instruments. a complete masterpiece.

    By Blogger ethan, at 10:51 AM  

  • By Blogger ethan, at 10:54 AM  

  • zombies - odessey and oracle

    By Blogger ethan, at 4:11 PM  

  • van morrison - moondance
    rolling stones - exile on main st.
    bobby dylan - blood on the tracks

    more recent stuff?

    iron and wine - the creek drank the cradle
    josh rouse - 1972
    shins - oh, inverted world
    yo la tengo - and then nothing turned itself inside out
    belle and sebastian - if you're feeling sinister
    beck - sea change

    those are some of my most favourite indie-rock albums.

    -reuben

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:13 PM  

  • i concur on the shins and the josh rouse and, um, the belle and sebastian. although that's probably mostly nostalgia.

    that's not the right yo la tengo record tho: the right one is "i can hear the heart beating as one."

    and that's not the right beck record: the right one is "mutations."

    By Blogger ethan, at 12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home