Yeninko of the Umlaut

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Wisconsin 2005

I recently went to Wisconsin, as I try to do every year, and as always I had a blast. Wisconsin is like my own Las Vegas. I drink a lot, eat crap, gamble and generally have tons of fun. Seriously I think i ate a case of pringles in four days(five tubes a day).

Of note, this time around was the annual post-independence day BBQ and Children’s parade. You start by blocking off the cul de sac from traffic, add food and kegs of beer and root beer mixed in with the rockin-est 14 year old band you ever heard. Then get all children within god knows where...let me digress, there were like 100 adults there and I shit you not like 100+ kids. I live in SF. I see a kid about once a week and usually those are runaways. The sheer number of children they are putting out in the Midwest is staggering. Anyway, grab a gripe of kids, cover them in red, white and blue and have them get on anything with wheels and parade about. To top it off you need fire works, handily supplied by the dude across the street who also runs a commercial fireworks distributor or something. Kids each get four pounds of those white popper things they insist on throwing at your feet at the Laney Flea Market. Then after sunset (and the kegs run out) you bring out the real deal. First you clear people out to the lawns and then you start launching fireworks into the air. For the record I’m not into fireworks, I guess after twenty five years they just sort of wear thin of their magic. But when your sitting 50ft away from fireworks being launched 50ft into the air and exploding in a 50ft diameter, well they start to seem real cool again. Especially if it goes on for a couple of hours with the occasional launch landing in the crowd (I did mention the empty kegs right?). Top it off with the fireworks rubbish heap catching fire and getting all explodey about an hour after the festivities are done and well, that is a party Wisconsin style.

I also went to a demolition derby which was, as it always is, freakin cool. The white trash crowd rocks. Plus cars getting smashed and deep fried cheese curds! How could one not enjoy themselves?

And finally I learned to water ski. I’ve spent many a day on the lake or river having my arms pulled out of my socket only to land face down on some surprisingly hard water but I finally managed to get up and ski. And water skiing is sooo much fun. Ridiculously so. Day one I got up, day two I was on one ski. Yer never to old kids. Learn today!

There was more but I’ll dish it out to ya’ll slow like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home