Yeninko of the Umlaut

Friday, April 01, 2005

Love Tunnels

There is a point in most subway tunnels where, as you enter or exit, the air imbalance of the tunnels makes itself apparent by a constant, non-slacking gust of wind into or out of the underground platforms. I love this. When exiting Bart I'll sometimes pause and let the wind just ruffle me for a moment. It reminds me of the mountain passes on the way into Death Valley with the hot dry oven like gusts, or the pre-storm flurries in the Pacific Northwest (can I call Arcata that?). In SF at about sunset you can catch these fantastic currents of wind coiling around the buildings at around 9th and Market as those winds try desperately to escape the sea and flee toward Oakland.

I don't know what it is, there is something cleansing and purifying about wind in large steady doses that really does it for me. Maybe dogs have something there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home