Yeninko of the Umlaut

Monday, December 06, 2004

Olejnik

For many a year now I have been fascinated by racial slurs. Not because I am particularly the racist, but because I find the concept of someone hating, for example, a 'Kraut' or a ‘Honkie’ to be wildly humorous. Mind you, I understand that terms can be hateful and offensive to the target of such abuse but I can’t help but laugh at someone who calls another a 'Yid' derisively. I mean, aren’t we supposed to be adults? A 'Yid'?

In any case I am happy to note that thanks to The Racial Slur Database I have finally found a racial slur for that small clan that is mine, the Slovaks. Only 3 million and yet we have our very own slur! Olejnik is, though I now have to broach this with my parents to try to figure out exactly what it means.

3 Comments:

  • I don't know how, but the word "Jigaboo" came out of my mouth last night in a free-association exercise. I couldn't help but feel a bit embarrassed, but, at the same time, I don't think I've actually heard the word used to signify a black person for quite some time (if ever, coming from Canada, where the racial divide is different by nature). Is there some point when these ethnic slurs can officially become archaic? I haven't heard coolie for quite a while either. And I didn't even know what a Polack was when I read this a while back:

    http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/24/73541/3018

    -Reuben

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:33 PM  

  • Comment #2: Do you consider the word 'mulatto' a racial slur? I do, considering its origin (spanish for "mule", I believe), but I often hear it used as if the user does know it is offensive.

    -Reuben

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:42 PM  

  • should have been: "doesn't know it's offensive"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home